How To: Custom Color Chalkboard Paint

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Note: If you're in the Pittsburgh area and would like to make your own chalkboard paint, I have more than enough leftover unsanded tile grout for most projects and I'm more than willing to share. Just shoot me an email :)

How To: Custom Color Chalkboard Paint Magazine Files

ABM's Mixing your own chalkboard paint + Chalkboard magazine files gives you this effect. I think it works quite well on these Knuff magazine files from Ikea!

How To Make Your Own Chalkboard Paint
I generally followed A Beautiful Mess' tutorial on mixing your own chalkboard paint, but I only wanted to use half of an acrylic paint tube, and since that changed the numbers a little I've included those numbers below.

Step 0: Materials
Materials. 1.5 tsp unsanded white tile grout, 1 fl oz acrylic paint, plastic cup, plastic spoon, paintbrush, chalk, and surface to paint.

Step 1 & 2: Prepare Surfaces, Mix Grout + Paint
Step 1. Prepare your surface to be painted. I did a base layer of my desired color, and used painter's tape to outline the section to be painted. Also, protect your work surface with some scrap paper!
Step 2. Mix 1.5 tsp unsanded tile grout per 1 fl oz acrylic paint, in the plastic cup. Mix with plastic spoon until lumps are gone.

Step 3: Paint
Step 3. Paint with chalkboard paint mix immediately, as it begins to harden quickly.

Step 4: Wait for Paint to Dry
Step 4. Wait for paint to dry. Apply additional layers as needed (I did about 2 applications).

Step 5: Slate Surface & Wipe Off
Step 5. Once final layer is completely dry, slate the chalkboard by lightly rubbing chalk over the surface and then gently rubbing it off.

Tutorial: Make Your Own Chalkboard Painted Magazine Files
Done! Your custom chalkboard paint is now ready to be written on with chalk!

1 comments:

KT My Lady said...

I love this! I would probably never do this myself, but I LOVE that you did. Adorable and functional.